Ridgites bash planned hipster bar over fear skinny-pant set will bring noise

Neighbors of a planned beer garden slated to become Bay Ridge’s first hipster bar say they’re against the place before it has a chance to become cool.

Residents living near the future location of the Lock Yard — an outdoor micro-brew emporium designed to appeal to indie music-loving youth from neighborhoods to the north — claim trendy newcomers will shatter their block’s tranquility faster than the screen of an iPhone 5 stashed in the same pocket as a mustache comb.

“This idea of bringing a young crowd from Williamsburg and Park Slope, it’s unacceptable,” said Elizabeth Pabian, whose backyard borders the Fifth Avenue space between 92nd and 93rd streets where skinny-jean-and-flannel-clad customers will soon sip craft beers from the Midwest. “My whole life will change.”

Pabian has started a petition to try to keep the Lock Yard — formerly the Bridgeview Locksmith shop — from opening, and has already gotten 29 neighbors to endorse the cause.

That list includes Amanda Tigio, who echoed Pabian’s concerns about noisy newcomers because her bedroom windows will look out onto the beer-swilling bohemian scene.

“I bet 20-somethings would be an even more of a late night crowd, so that perpetuates my fears about the sound,” said Tigio, who is not yet 30 years old herself. “I can hear when a buzzing alarm goes off next door. I can only imagine what this is going to be like.”

Others worry that a hipster invasion will, ironically, cause a decline in property values.

Marisa Falero, who owns a home that borders the beer garden and is considering purchasing another adjoining property, fears the Lock Yard will hurt her investments.

“What’s going to happen to the value of that house, if there’s a beer garden in back of it full of drunk people?” said Falero.

But the Lock Yard’s owner, Tommy Casatelli — the man behind popular Third Avenue hangouts Kettle Black and Ho’Brah Taco Joint — promised that he would contain the commotion, just like he does at his current establishments.

“All I can say is my track record with the two places that I have now is that we’re good neighbors, and I’m going to be a good neighbor here too, and that’s all there is to it,” said Casatelli, who is already at work building a wall around the backyard to keep the noise in check.

The Lock Yard, which Casatelli initially hoped to have open before the Superbowl, suffered a setback when the contractor hired had his home destroyed during Hurricane Sandy.

The watering hole is now scheduled to open by the end of June.

Community Board 10 voted overwhelmingly to support Castelli’s bid for a liquor license, but the application is still awaiting approval from the State Liquor Authority.

The fight to keep hipsters out of Bay Ridge comes after vitriolic anti-gentrification blogger Die Hipster called it quits and said he expected a hipster influx to reach Southern Brooklyn — just not so soon.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

diehipster from non-gentrified Brooklyn says:
Score one for the natives! Where do I sign?

Today's hipster beating:

Today, I saw Nasally Ned and 'Transplant' Tristan enjoying a $9.00 local craft ale as they reminisced about their bed-sheet fort-building days back in liberal arts college in Michigan. So I rolled up my brand new tire iron in a print edition of the Brooklyn Paper and beat their Nancy Reagan-physiqued bodies into a coma. End of story.
Jan. 10, 2013, 7:26 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Ahhhh...a hipster beating! I can proceed with my morning in a positive mood!
Jan. 10, 2013, 8:04 am
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
Heh heh, DH is now a roving guerilla warfare artiste.
Jan. 10, 2013, 8:31 am
Jack from Bay Ridge says:
I think these people just need to relax. Bay Ridge is full Of bars and nightlife. It's part Of the charm.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:07 am
ty from pps says:
In Bay Ridge we only approve of bars with "Real Brooklyn" goes to have fights and puke on the sidewalk.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:17 am
manhatposeur from brokeland says:
So is it any worse when back in the day when guido & guidette was hanging in the corner gettting drunk or high? Those types are violent and rowdier than the molly & urban lumberjack set- Ironic.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:19 am
djai695 from Boerum Hill says:
Ok, then I guess it's better to have the kind of bars where fights break out all the time and people crash their cars into other people because their bottles of vodka are stolen.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:43 am
BunnynSunny from The Hill says:
manhatposeur, now you sound like a racist.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:51 am
diehipster from You know says:
LOLLL! Look at all the hipster defenders that have never been below prospect park trying to describe bay ridge. Hysterical.

Of course there's opposition from the locals; if 100's of beardo bars already exist all over Bushpointburg, then why on earth would we need to stick one in still normal Brooklyn? And just like Not-Jack from Not Bay ridge said, it's already full of nightlife.

Get that sh*t outta here.
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:55 am
Jack from Bay Ridge says:
Maybe there's a split in opinions Of people in Bay Ridge. I've lived here my whole life, and I like the idea Of a hipster bar. There's no 'defending' as an above commenter states. People are allowed to live their lives as they want, even if it bothers you.
But my real point, Bay Ridge is a mix Of people : Norwegians (like my family), Irish, Italian, newer arabs and others. We don't all think the same way. Please don't imagine we are all on your side.
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:28 am
Frank from Bensonhurst says:
Relax, it's just integrating the neighborhood, kind of like bussing except it also makes money!
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:42 am
manhatposeur from brokeland says:
hey Jack, I even hear bay ridge as refered to "new Beirut" or "New Lebanon".
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:43 am
ethnobiologist says:
If there are going to be hipster bars in Bay Ridge, I suspect the owners will be serving indigenous hipsters or, more likely, southern Brooklyn residents who aren't even hipsters, just folks looking for something differnt. Lock Yard would have to be one damn amazing place to get people to travel from "Bushpointburg" to the other end of the borough ... and back.
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:47 am
Bay Ridger from Bay Ridge says:
I think what Bay Ridge really needs is a huge gay bar where Marty Golden's relatives and other retired cops and firefighters can wait outside and bash patrons in the head. I'm sure they'll find it great sport.
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:49 am
JAZ from occupied NYC says:
Fantastic hipster beating - best thing I've read all day!Like it has been said already, there's already plenty of bars and nightlife in Bay Ridge. What need is there for a beardo bar for the Iowa children of the corn to come down from the Shwick to nasally kazoo about their new fixies? Although I'm sure bars like Lone Star aren't artisanal enough for Reid, Monroe, and Cooper.

And in terms of noise, I'm sure that courtyard is gonna be pretty damn loud when they set up the organic Kale Compost and pig farm. Like yah!!!
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:59 am
JMS from Bushwick says:
Bay Ridge- A beer garden would actually raise their property value and would make the neighborhood more desirable.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:04 am
HEY SITE ADMINISTRATOR from DO YOUR JOB!!! says:
Are you lazy or do you agree with these posts that advocate beating people, shooting people, making racial/ethnic/sexual slurs? Is this the official position or is it the Terms that appear in the box above "Submit?"

Ban "diehipster," "Beverly," and anyone else who is violating the terms. Use their MAC numbers and IP addresses so they don't come crawling back. There are consequences for continually publishing these screeds.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:08 am
ST from Brooklyn says:
Amazing that the Brooklyn Paper condones threats of violence against gay people, hipsters, or anyone perceived as "different."

Shame on the publishers and editors for tolerating this.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:44 am
VLM from Park Slope says:

That's hilarious. Heaven forbid someone would want to go to Bay Ridge. Talk about xenophobia and isolationism in Bay Ridge.

Anyway, none of you really know what you're talking about anyway. The folks who live in Park Slope never were hipsters and the folks in Williamsburg aren't anymore. They're just basically young yuppies. And Bay Ridge, which mostly sucks, should just get over itself.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:45 am
John from Bay Ridge says:
Welcome hipsters.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:48 am
MG from Bay Ridge says:
I can understand the outrage over the beer garden. Everyone knows firefighters HATE fist fighting someone outdoors.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:53 am
Ironist from Die Hipster's mama's bed says:
The irony is Pabian the Younger looks exactly like someone Die Hipster imagines beating in his sad little fantasy life.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:54 am
WHAT ADMIN? from NO SHOW JOB says:
Nobody is at the helm here; it's the wild west. And yes, the BK Paper is encouraging this crap because it's lazier than real journalism. Just make fake news about a "hipster" story, interview the neighborhood crazy person, post stupid fake-candid picture of said crazies... done! The unemployed, bitter folks with nothing to do will keep the page hits up just enough for them to please their masters at the News Corp./NY Post - the paper of record for suburban knuckledraggers.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:59 am
diehipster from You know says:
Yo JAZ! What's up? Where are we gonna park our tractors to go see the pigs? Parking is tough in Bay Ridge already.
Jan. 10, 2013, 12:02 pm
diehipster from You know says:
John from Bayridge - you have a very convincing name and message. Good job. You hipsters are truly the creative class.
Jan. 10, 2013, 12:16 pm
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
The biggest problem that the Pabian family has is not the "invasion of hipsters" but their outfits and overall physical health. Let's clean it up a bit here folks...
Jan. 10, 2013, 12:44 pm
common sense from bay ridge says:
25 comments about a Bay Ridge related article. I guess Bay Ridge has finally arrived.

How can anyone, except prohibitionists, have issues with a beer garden is beyond me. It will probably be filled with locals anyway.
Jan. 10, 2013, 12:54 pm
nativebayridge from bay ridge says:
this article is nothing but a —— stirring commentary
Jan. 10, 2013, 1:06 pm
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
LOL at the cultural marxists crying for censorship...
"It's not kewel man..."
Jan. 10, 2013, 1:13 pm
JAZ from redbeard hunting says:
DH! - hmm, yeah parking is pretty tough; I'm sure if we show up with vintage Schwinns with locally hand crafted picnic baskets tied to the handlebars, they'll let us leave em in the hipster bar. Of course, we could just chain them up to a couple of Harrisons standing outside smoking American Spirits - they are the physique of bike racks after all.
Jan. 10, 2013, 1:33 pm
Mr. Neutral from Williamsburg says:
Every hipster/anti-hipster story: 50 comments from now on, well played DH well played. His blog "dies" but the discussion continues. Heh!
Jan. 10, 2013, 2:11 pm
Dominic from Former Bay Ridger says:
I'm not to fond of the "hipster" movement, if you will. C'mon, Bay Ridge is filled with a bunch of steak neck guys with bad hair (NO, REALLY BAD HAIR) fake tans, waxed everything. These steroid shooting monkeys are always looking for a fight.

Let the people drink their beer and wear whatever the hell they want. We could spend A LOT of time on the very dated styles of the ladies too.

Good luck!!
Jan. 10, 2013, 2:50 pm
Phil from LIC says:
Yo, HEY SITE ADMINISTRATOR aka Jen G. Could you please go on back over to your hipster apologist blog now? You must have some blog entries and comments to smoke. Certainly somebody wrote something you need to cry to your big brother over. BP loves all this hipster hating chatter. It gets a lot of views. If you hate it so much, stop feeding the trolls. You're only making it worse.
Jan. 10, 2013, 3:44 pm
JAY from NYC says:
ok first bayridge tries to get rid of a guy and his food cart now they are trying to get rid of a bar that has not even opened yet. Seems like they are just anti-business as all get out, unless of course you are a certain kind of person. On the other hand, a petition to stop the bar with all of 29 signatures? Come on, in a town like this 29 signatures is nothing, so really whats gong on here?
Also there are like a billion bars in bayridge already, what does it matter if there is one more or less? Seems like that ship has already sailed.
Again Brooklyn Paper, whats going on here? NOT your best piece of work.
Jan. 10, 2013, 5:11 pm
Zombie Chris says:
This is so dumb. There is no hipster invasion. This is just a way to rile everyone up so they'll read newspapers and post comments. This is a perfect example of when reporters create the news instead of reporting it. And if you ask me, Pabian Jr. looks like one of these "Northern Brooklynites" they've been warning us about!
Jan. 10, 2013, 6 pm
Not Jen G from Not LIC says:
What, Phil, you think you or anybody else has some "right" to ignore the rules of publication, or to make threats that are technically illegal? If you or your little buddies want to be naughty little 8 year olds in public, start a blog that everyone can avoid, but don't think you can walk into what pretends to be a public paper and act like that.

And the public paper needs to remember its responsibilities as a publisher and enforce their own Terms.
Jan. 10, 2013, 6:22 pm
bkdude65 says:
Wtf is a ridgite? wtf is a beer garden?
Jan. 10, 2013, 7:57 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
dont you just hate the first amendment - though it may have been locally sourced (in a global white male euro- centric and correct view) via english law and the enlightenment -stupid apeech is protected speech - jen - do a bj in iran and you will be stoned - dont do a bj in brooklyn and you can go to BP (look for translation) - these idiot kids want to be bay ridge go for it - i was there when saturday night fever was filmed and had the lennon on abbey road look - talk about oil and water. bay ridge is a socio economic petri dish of its own and if you candy assed burpsters want to hag/hang out there i suggest you check out shore road after dark
Jan. 10, 2013, 9:52 pm
jake from Kensington says:
Much ado about nothing here.
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:36 pm
John from Bay Ridge says:
I like beer gardens. What's the problem with this? Everyone needs to lightenup a bit and get over their sterotypes. All hipsters aren't anying pencil neck geeks, and Bay Ridge isn't the guido haven it was 25 years ago (you'll need to go to Staten Island for that).
Jan. 11, 2013, 11:15 am
scott from park slope says:
bring on the hipsters! if we can chase out and confine the permanent embarrassment that is East Coast Italian-Americans to a section of beach on the Jersey Shore, the world will be a better place. go forth, guidos and guidettes, go bathe in your bronzer and bad hair! study how to brutalize grammar and beat up grandmas for their social security checks on behalf of your local dons.
Jan. 11, 2013, 11:43 am
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
Wow a small army of hipster douchebags here today...kewel.
Jan. 11, 2013, 2:01 pm
Pill from your street says:
Delusional, racist, classist hipsters at that.
Jan. 11, 2013, 3:55 pm
Jen from Bay Ridge says:
Dear Mr. Casatelli,

As a big fan of your Kettle Black, I will be glad to bring my friends to your new establishment. I am excited about the prospect of a beer garden near where I live. Also, I am not a hipster. Do not let the naysayers hold you back; they are just afraid of change, and apparently young people.

Yours truly,
Jen
Jan. 11, 2013, 4:15 pm
Jeff M from Bay Ridge says:
1. Not everyone in Bay Ridge agrees with the anti-food cart goons believe me
2. If you really beleive there will be an "invasion" of hipsters down here you are the delusional one, unless the L starts running down Fourth Avenue
Jan. 11, 2013, 4:23 pm
Senator Street from Baa Baa Bay Ridge says:
More Bay Ridge mafia and alcoholic cop/firefighter bars, please!
Jan. 11, 2013, 5:09 pm
MG from Bay Ridge says:
I like the idea of bringing a little class and culture to the neighborhood.

Besides, it'll be nice to have a bucolic setting for Marty Golden's nephew to stab someone in.
Jan. 11, 2013, 5:53 pm
Mike from Brooklyn says:
Twenty-nine opponents? Wow, I guess the whole neighborhood is up in arms! This might bring on the type of violence we haven't seen since the bike lane went in on Prospect Park West.

This is a completely manufactured controversy and an example of low-quality journalism. The idea that people will come here all the way from north Brooklyn is absurd. But so what if they do? I bet it will be a nice place with a good mix of people, just like the neighborhood it inhabits. I doubt there will be many hipsters, though I don't see anything wrong with that.
Jan. 11, 2013, 10:31 pm
Mark from Kensington says:
Bay Ridge (and Bensonhurst) have always been areas that don't like outsiders. If these people that oppose this bar can organize and block it then so be it. As long as they do it legally.

Remember Bay Ridge is one of the "old Brooklyn" areas. To some of these people, hipsters don't represent anything that they want in their neighborhood.

Also from the article the people quoted live right next to the proposed site. They would rather live right next to a bar. I don't blame them.
Jan. 12, 2013, 8:18 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
I escaped from Bary Ridge over35 years ago. It is a tad xenaphobic and those who grew up there all know each other - go to any wedding or wake and you will run into someone who dated someone. You are considered an outsidaer if you were not baptized there ( I wasnt). That being said based on the snotty/arrogant comments there may be good reason not to want this thing re no respect for the area or its spawn.
Jan. 12, 2013, 9:55 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
I lived across from a bar in Bay Ridge for a while and it was hell. Kids outside all night rain , snow or shine carrying on and the cops there do less than nada unlessyou arent white.
Jan. 12, 2013, 9:59 am
Alexander from Bay Rdige says:
Rather than discourage investment from a local resident, we should encourage it. Mr. Casatelli isn't planning a 93 Lounge-style place. 93 Lounge is a disaster. Mr. Casatelli is from Bay Ridge, resides in Bay Ridge, and invests in Bay Ridge. Many of the people who go to his restaurants--like me--are from the neighborhood. And even if people from other places come, so what? Money for the local economy. I don't think we should dismiss the Pabian's concerns. But I live 3 blocks from that location. And my kids go to 104, and my wife and kids belong to St. Pat's. And I've met Mr. Casatelli, who I find truly committed to Bay Ridge (my family and I are regulars at Ho' Brah). I am excited by the prospect of a beer garden. I hope the residents on the block re-consider their position. But I don't think they should be vilified because they're exercising their rights as community residents, even if the rest of the community disagrees with them.
Jan. 14, 2013, 11:57 am
derp from gayridge says:
oddly her son looks the part of one of those "hipsters" that would ruin her life....
Jan. 14, 2013, 10:42 pm
esque from Bath Beach says:
You don't have to be a hipster to:
Have good taste in music.
Enjoy beer that isn't Budweiser.

I mean, if your chosen beer is Michelob Ultra, and AC/DC is your favorite band of all time, what the hell does it matter to you anyway? You'll NEVER set foot in this place.

If you don't like noise, don't live on an main thoroughfare in the heart of a busy neighborhood.

I have lived in south Brooklyn for 20 years, Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, and now Bath Beach, and I can't wait for a decent beer bar to open.
All you "Hipster Haters" need to chill out and accept reality. Or, just continue hanging out at the salty dog, where you'll never see a hipster, but you might catch a fireman beating someone into a body cast.
Jan. 23, 2013, 9:49 am
NotaMoron from Bay Ridge says:
Do you anti beer garden morons really think that because a place is opened in Bay Ridge that the whole community of williamsburgh is going to move to bay ridge?
There are plenty of Japanese sushi places in bay ridge... I dont see Japan clammering for waterfront apartments on Shore road because of it. This is really a stupid argument.
Feb. 14, 2013, 12:25 pm
bayridge from bayridge resident says:
i think the point got lost - the fear was about using the backyard as a bar because it abuts/is contiguous/is adjacent to resident yards and would bring noise into their yards. the wall is not keeping out the noise (I'm no contractor but isn't a roof required to do that?). bring on the hipsters (if they will come for artisenal sausages & its pretty clear to me that using the term was a gimmick to sell the place to CB10) but put them inside the bar or put an acoustic roof over the garden. BTW - exactly which of Tommy's businesses operate from someone else's backyard? is it the taco joint or the Kettle Black?
Sept. 13, 2013, 9:26 pm