Die Hipster — Brooklyn’s anti-gentrification blog — has ceased to be

Nothing to stop skinny-pant set now that anti-gentrification blog is gone

Die Hipster is dead.

The vitriolic Southern Brooklyn blog that battled anything in the borough related to mustaches, bicycles, roof-grown produce, art, out-of-towners, and the name Caleb passed away at the old age of 6.

Die Hipster simply couldn’t keep up with the sheer quantity of live hipsters moving to the borough, the site’s anonymous writer told this paper.

“They have somewhat won in the North,” conceded the blogger, who has penned the angry screed since 2007 in the hopes of stanching the flow of the creative class. “It just pains me to keep writing about … these annoying wanna-be city types and then running into them later that day in my travels or reading about some bearded guy named Hayden in the New York Times because he owns a chicken and roasts beets on his roof.”

The Die Hipster blogger criticized his targets for being affluent and spoiled, and blamed hipsters — or in the blog’s parlance “interlopers,” “gentrifiers,” “transplants,” “trust-funders,” and “urban cupcakeologists” — for driving up rents across Brooklyn.

“It has trickled down the borough,” said the now-retired blogger, who frequently commented at the bottom of Brooklyn Paper articles (and, apparently, was not a big fan). “Why should I pay even $50 more a month because a bunch of try-hard artists and fauxhemians from the suburbs of middle America want to come here and be cool for a few years?”

His mission was to stop the wave of gentrification — and he tried to do it with outright animosity rather than persuasion. The blog featured a regular item in which the writer would violently fantasize about encountering a token hipster — a quail keeper, a unicyclist, or some other “culdesacian” — and then describe bludgeoning them to death.

This section was called “today’s hipster beating.”

Despite his aggressive ruminations against hipsters and occasionally this paper’s reporters, he was more than willing to cooperate on this story — and responded quickly and thoroughly to inquiries.

It’s this type of behavior that led some to question whether the man behind Die Hipster was truly an anti-hipster activist, or just a dedicated internet troll doing his best to make Brooklyn angry.

“He was just one long anonymous sneer, the previous generation’s gentrifier yelling ineffectually at the new kids,” said Clay Shirky, an NYU professor of TED Talks fame and an authority on the internet age, noting that Die Hipster’s “commitment to sorting people into buckets of authentic and poser” reeked of well, hipster-ness.

“The only real surprise here is that there were any posts in 2013 at all.”

Fans of the site say they will miss Die Hipster’s unique perspective — even if they didn’t always agree with the blog’s tone.

“I’m sad that he won’t be posting,” said 27-year-old Bensonhurt resident and Park Slope native Eddie Going, who has checked the site daily since he discovered it last year. “It was creative and it helped shed some light on the hipster phenomenon, but I didn’t like that he wanted to kill them.”

Die Hipster has racked up an impressive 2.7-million views according to a counter on the site, and the blogger grew to become one of the borough’s prominent anti-gentrification voices — joining infamous Brownstoner.com poster “The What” and some stalwarts on The Brooklyn Paper’s online comments section with his non-stop attack against new Brooklynites and everything they stand for.

But he fell short of his goal to keep hipsters from moving south of Prospect Park.

“I thought this website would somewhat prevent the spread of hipsters into southern parts of Brooklyn,” he wrote in a goodbye note on the site, lamenting an increasingly strong presence of bearded folks in the Ditmas Park area. “I really don’t think they’ll be going much further south and if so, it’ll be a long, long, long time before they thoroughly take over places like Dyker, Bay Ridge, Borough Park, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, and Marine Park.”

But he holds little hope that his children will grow up to see a single Brooklyn neighborhood free of free-range fowl and fair-trade coffee.

“In 30 years Brooklyn will be one giant flea market under a tent made out of flannel and beard hair,” he said. “Us natives will be living in the sewer tunnels for only $1,200 a month.”

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. Follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Mike from Williamsburg says:
"Self-satisfied blogger stunned to learn of his lack of influence."
Jan. 9, 2013, 8:49 am
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
That blog was funny as hell...and let's face it, hipsters are made for ridicule.
Waahh...butthurt.
Jan. 9, 2013, 8:53 am
Pat I. from 70's brooklyn says:
Time for someone else to pick up the Louisville slugger and carry on Die Hipster's fine work.
Jan. 9, 2013, 9:03 am
Paul from Park Slope says:
If you had a hard time laughing at die-hipster, you're an ——.
Jan. 9, 2013, 9:06 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
I encourage all normal, 9-5 Brooklyners to start hanging out in Williamsburg, Bushwick and other hipster petri dishes. Patronize their businesses. Spend A LOT of time in their bars, restaurants and coffee shops. Take the Mast Brothers tour. Wear your wife beater tees and bring your hot guidette girlfriends along. Bring your parents,aunts and grandmothers.

Once you do this you will see how the open-minded tolerant individuals are actually the most bigoted and racist lot on the planet.

Mind you, these are the same folks who will protest the fact that your carrying an alligator purse but will ignore a native american strangling a bald eagle to make a feathered headress.
Jan. 9, 2013, 9:19 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Transplant-

First off DH did not want to commercialize his site. But I'm sure if he did you'd be whining about how he's was making fun of hipsters to turn make a buck.

Second - what's wrong with drinking boxed wines? You're hipster elitism is showing. Pretty soon you'll be complaining about folks who drink bottled wine sealed with synthetic corks.

Third- Get off the age nonsense. So some of us are in our late forties or fifties. So what? Henry rollins is 51. I'm sure a lot of hipsters would love to have their lips surgically attached to his a**.

What people like you can't stand is that you know...deep down...that without us your entire Luna -Park-On-The-Gowanus would be a distant memory. We build the condos, fix the streets, pick up your trash, provide youw with safe drinkign water and design and manufacture all the sh*t you Brooklyn-based skidmarks take for granted.

Old or young - whether you like it or not- the artisanal breastmilk cheese artisan will not be the most important person in your life when you come home and find 6 inches of impacted cr*p and p*ss running down your newly installed, reclaimed pine stairs thanks to a broken toilet. At that point yoru hero will not be Nathan The Urban Explorer, it will be Vince the plumber fro Bensonhurst.
Jan. 9, 2013, 9:38 am
ty from pps says:
Pat -- You should do a little reflection on your comments above. So, hipsters are horrible. Great. What other folks in New York City are worthless? Let's make a list, shall we. Why do I have a feeling you'd probably be able to reduce the city down to about 8,000 people that are EXACTLY like you.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:01 am
diehipster from Non-Gentrified Brooklyn says:
Transplant:

Your "11th comment ever" on this site came pretty quickly didn't it you ——ing smug cockrag. I can see it now: you saw this article pop up and dropped your kale crackers and Grumpy coffee to be the first to show your jealousy. Sorry I exposed you and you pseudo creative class for so many years as complete nobodies who fake city life day in and day out. An as evidenced by your comment, you seem to know a lot about my site - as if you are one of the 6 basement virgins you speak of. I'm impressed. It's good to know though, that you were a constant visitor helping me get to 3 million hits. Its highly doubtful but maybe one day they'll do an article on you - The Story Of Transplant: Angry Yup of the comment world. You must be mad right now! Those thick frames must be fogging up right? You could probably reboil that $5.00 coffee just by holding it in your hand for a few seconds. But hey, your aren't reading this because youre better that that right?
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:02 am
pps says:
By the way, Pat. What I mean by "exactly like you" is bitter and judgmental.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:09 am
Homey from Crooklyn says:
Rolling rolling rolling
Keep that butthurt rolling
Rawhide....
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:17 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
I will forever miss diehipster.com. Sure, he became repetitive at times, but you wouldn't know that if you didn't frequent his page to see what he had to say next. It was a place to vent, to laugh, and to know that you're own opinions are shared by others. Until another such page pops up, I'll just have to entertain myself by reading the Police Blotter, to see whose iProduct was stolen from the passanger seat of their running car while parked "for only a second" on Broadway and Myrtle to run into a deli for a pack of American Spirits and a 6er of PBR. Or whose $3,000 bike was stolen when left unattended on Bushwick and Johnson while they checked out a local street fair.

RIP diehipster.com - You will be missed.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:19 am
manhatposeur from Brokeland says:
Its kind of weird that diehipster had such an intimate knoweledge of "all things hipster Brooklyn". I sometimes wondered if he actually was one and his perpetual rants seemed only to further encoruage the lunacy.
As per outing hipsters as racist, thought they are primarily midwest or pacificoastal white people, the so called hipsters had were much more at easy mixing with like minded AZn's, black, and hispanics. The hipsters would discrimiante by class more than race.
I think the guidos, old school Italians-Eastern Europeans, Hassids, & working class hispanic, & angry black people were probably mroe freaked out by causual interracial mixing.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:23 am
ty from pps says:
I really love that the "Die Hipster" crowd seems to always go back to the basics... crime is good. Crime defines who we are. We want crime. We don't want fun things. We want to suffer. We want the city to be dangerous and dirty. We want our nice things stolen. We want to get into knife fights. That is "real" Brooklyn. The Brooklyn I love.

Right?
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:24 am
Sane Person from Normal Brooklyn says:
What a sewer this place has become. These guys are like the Howard Stern Zombies.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:25 am
Q from Bay Ridge says:
Ty, if you are thinking that I was in any way encouraging, or wishing for crime by referring to the Police Blotter, that wasn't my intention. I find humor at the moron who would be ignorant enough to leave his car running and unattended on Bdwy & Myrtle, or his bike unattended on Bushwich & Johnson. To leave your car running or bike left unattended anywhere is stupid, to do it in a neighborhood with a high crime rate is hilarious! The humor stems from a person being so naive to believe that because it is wrong (crime), it won't happen.
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:40 am
Guy F from Flavor Town says:
So, hipsters have cars now?
Jan. 9, 2013, 10:45 am
Eddie Going from Bensonhurst says:
Too bad we can't click "like" or reply directly to any of these comments. I love the site and was honored to be a part of this article. I had only recently become aware of this "hipster" lifestyle and the more I read about it and the more I saw it in person come to life from what I read, the more sickened I became by it. I don't care if people want to live in Brooklyn from other parts of the country or even the world. I think it's great. However, when it comes down to making mindful decisions about irony, wearing broken shoes, dressing to stand out and draw attention to yourself, eating vegan just to call yourself a vegan...that's where I get upset. This world has become too much of a "look at me, I'm special" type of world -- and these hipsters are all about doing non-mainstream things and they all end up looking like god damn fools who all do the same thing anyway. Oh well.
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:14 am
Mickey Shea from Greenpoint says:
Look at the no pants subway ride...a perfect example of hipster imbecilism. Of course we're gonna make fun of these douchebags.
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:32 am
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
PPS, you dim wit....I'm not bitter. Judgemental? Yes - but who isn't? Hipsters are supposed to be non-judgemental..as long as your worldview coincides with theirs.

Oh and of course Diehipster and it's posters always went back to basics - because it's a simplelack of "the basics" that get people pissed off: No respect or concern for others, lack of gainful employment, filthy apartments and an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Want an example of this entitlement? I took my son to the Franklin Institute lastSunday to see the Titanic exhibit. Half the width of the street was now designated as a BIKE LANE - in the middle of the street. 32 cars backed up at the light but not one bike. So when I cut across the bike lane to get a parking space I had some tatted up cankle-riffic hipster b*tch lecture me on how I should not have done what I did. Really now? I don't you remember consulting me when you got your tattoos.
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:33 am
Waaambulance from Bike Lanes says:
Waaaaaaaah, things change and I don't like it
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:38 am
scott from park slope says:
cheer up, knuckledraggers! There's always this: lookatthis——inghipster.tumblr.com/

it's a fun place to go for a chuckle, without the puerile imagined violence.

sure, I like to laugh at their silliness too, but given the choice between hipsters and the Nancy boy, Jersey Shore wannabes of Bay Ridge and "old time" Brooklyn, I choose hipsters hands down. when hipsters arrive, new companies, fashion stores, good coffee, artisanal food, new development, and low crime follow. when it comes to Nancy boy jersey shore wannabes, racism, murder, theft, mafiosi, plummeting IQs, and incessant effeminate whining ensue. it's no contest.

I second the motion for the latter to get out, go to Jersey, and not let the door hit them on the way out. better yet, go back to the slums of Sicily or Napoli. I say this as a proud Italian-American.
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:38 am
Northside Ned from GPT says:
Pat I was a 50 year old unemployed man from the Jersey suburbs (for real). He rants about 'hipsters' at Barnes & Noble. He is clearly an angry bitter man who the world has passed by. Get a job Pat and stop dicking around on the internet!
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:03 pm
Northside Ned from GPT says:
diehipster from Non-Gentrified Brooklyn = a thousand posts, a million words, $0 made, and one full on L. Way to work that one out townie.
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:06 pm
Guy F from Flavor Town says:
But I thought Pat I. was posting through a time portal from 70's Brooklyn. He's just some out of town loser commenting on Brooklyn blogs like that Tai dude from Plesantville.

And remember, Ned, Die Hipster is an unpaid intern. He must be parentaly funded. Maybe he can get a gig at the BK paper. He's better than Carmine.
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:21 pm
common sense from bay ridge says:
Scott from Park Slope has it about right. Please come to South Brooklyn and drive up real estate prices, my skinny jean wearing friends. Very few people who actually own real estate here will complain.

Also, my Brooklyn born child and their friends love the pillow fights and a lot of the other things young transplants do to make living here more fun and enjoyable. Ignore the trolls and haters, they were always a miserable lot.
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:30 pm
GPT says:
Lets not forget the other Diehipster regulars. There was a civil war reenactor from Ohio, a paranoid freak from Las Vegas, some loser from Texas, a self described Albino (lol), several graphic designers and DJ's ('authentic' ones of course) and good ol' unemployed suburban soccer dad Pat.

Quite a crown you attracted DH. You should have quit years earlier.
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:32 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
DieHipster is alive and well on twitter. Seems that the Brooklyn Paper will miss the blog the most judging by the number of comments and page hits DieHipster generated. This thread being a typical example. While I'm here I'd like to thank all the gentrifiers for continuing to pay their rent and taxes. As an City employee it is important that you pay for my pension and free medical. Like Yah! Like Yah!
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:46 pm
John from Windsor Terrace says:
Diehipster, you will be, and currently are, sorely missed...
Please consider picking back up the torch, my friend.
These hip-cockaroaches are everywhere in my neighborhood. They bike their vintage-schwins with front and rear kids seats down the sidewalk, adjacent to the empty bike lane they fought for (which now reduces car traffic to one-lane), while narrowly avoiding children and older women who are forced to dive out of their self-entitled way. They smugly sit in the ridiculously-overpriced coffee shop during working hours, EVERY DAY!
Please come back, your site provided much needed comic relief to this conundrum.
Without you I may have to resort to inflicting pain into the next 3-piece kazoo band that decides to play an entire set on my lousy F-train commute home from my normal job.
DIEHIPSTER COME BAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan. 9, 2013, 12:47 pm
AntiHipster from BENSONHURST says:
Hipster Prank Calls:

Enjoy :-)
Jan. 9, 2013, 1 pm
Beatdown from San Francisco says:
Diehipster was read throughout the US, unlike this "paper". All cities are infested with hipster scumbags unfortunately.
San Francisco will miss diehipster. Guess I will have to get my fix from twitter from here on out. Better yet, maybe I will go out at lunch and provide a real hipster beating to a fixie riding Academy of Art student with my trusty Easton aluminum bat!
Jan. 9, 2013, 1:12 pm
diehipster from Non-gentrified Brooklyn says:
LOL. How many yup name changes can one comment section have. Effin angry, jealous, nasally yups. They're even counting money I never made from my site. Hahahahahahahaha! I'm quite sure that half the hits I ever had were from self loathing hipsters and yups like the sock puppets here and in my comments sections. LOL classic!

THE POWER OF DIEHIPSTER COMPELS YOU.
THE POWER OF DIEHIPSTER COMPELS YOU.
THE POWER OF DIEHIPSTER COMPELS YOU.
Jan. 9, 2013, 1:31 pm
Jerry from South Brooklyn says:
Swamp Yankee must think all hipsters are Republicans since, according to him, the hate paying taxes to support useless government drones like him
Jan. 9, 2013, 2:03 pm
mc from USA says:
Even funnier than Diehipster (which isn't easy) are all the desperate little Tobys and Transplants From Here To Stay flailing about trying to diminish his contributions to humanity. What does it matter that he didn't monetize his site? It figures you would measure success that way. All of you that hope he is just a hipster himself are projecting so much onto him. Good luck with that, but you'll be disappointed. As to the "violence" of hipster beatings, give me a break. Just keep flapping your arms, spittle frothing out of your little pieholes. God forbid you would ignore it. Look how much power Diehipster has over you! Long live diehipster.
Jan. 9, 2013, 2:05 pm
Nothside Ned from Greenpoint says:
"Even funnier than Diehipster (which isn't easy) are all the desperate little Tobys and Transplants From Here To Stay flailing about trying to diminish his contributions to humanity."

bwahaha

"contributions to society"

I guess if you consider giving a place for fat-ass, 50 year old failures a place play grab-ass and project their failures onto others a contribution to society, than sure.

What a bunch of ——ing losers. Hey fat-ass 'natives', money talks and —— walks. Now get out of my neighborhood.
Jan. 9, 2013, 2:15 pm
Jerry from South Brooklyn says:
Yawn. This thread has no more comments or attention than the weekly bike lane rant. Nobody will care tomorrow.
Jan. 9, 2013, 2:18 pm
Homey from Crooklyn says:
LOL at the ——ing beardos !!
Jan. 9, 2013, 2:25 pm
Johnny Hammersticks from Brooklyn says:
Hipsters are the AIDS virus of society. Too bad hurricane sandy didn't sweep them all into sea.
Jan. 9, 2013, 3:15 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
Pardon me, but I just don't see what this has to do with anything. Can someone please enlighten me on this subject (if you don't mind my asking)?
Jan. 9, 2013, 3:40 pm
"Interloper" from Kent Ave says:
Great post Transplant and great article Eli...I love the firestorm of commentary from the "Brooklyn Old Guard" that this has spawned.

Some of you people...Johnny Hammersticks, Beatdown, John, SwampYankee, Mickey Shea and Pat I...in particular are just really sad. To think that you spend your day fantasizing about beating somebody up with a baseball bat because they're relatively new to the community and enjoy things like PBR and brunch...you have way bigger personal problems in your life than the "infestation" of "hipsters", "trustafarians" and "yupsters".

Seek help and maybe you will grow and learn to overcome whatever condition has led you to become the poor pathetic excuse for a human being that you are. And while you are at it join a kickball team, go to brunch, get a better job than the one at the Post Office and get with the times and enjoy yourself like the rest of Brooklyn.

YOU LOSE! hahaha
Jan. 9, 2013, 3:42 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
let it out Jerry.......let it all out
Jan. 9, 2013, 3:54 pm
K. from ArKady says:
Who knew voting against any substantive reform of the inheritance tax would result in a dandified class of out-of-touch elites? Who knew...
Jan. 9, 2013, 4:12 pm
manhatposeur from brokeland says:
I have to agree with Scott from Park Slope. True enough the hipsters & the nancy boy/urban lumber jacks were self-absorbed effiminient but they are not violent racist jersey shore-wannabe-guidos-tan-in a can types. i didnt mind the ridicule diehipster had for us gentrifying-invaders. but it was the outward propensity for violence or even the call for violence against those who didnt fit the criteria of old school brooklyn that bothered me the most.
I am an AZn and I am not some trnasplant from California or NYC suburbs but I have lived long enough to see the peaceful transformation. Sure I am sympathetic to the working class people who have gotten priced out and unable to purchase the place they may lived for years, but gentrification means no longer the concentration of culture and wealth in Manhathan.
Jan. 9, 2013, 4:47 pm
OldYorker from Chelsea says:
I came to New York the day I was born. I saw it as a young adult during the 70's. I actually really mean this; I don't know what I like better, the crime riddled city with junkies nodding on corners or today's young ones, sitting in a sidewalk cafe in the middle of the day not having a care in the world. Die Hipsters time has come, he shot his wad, everybody gets it, some funny things said, but it's time to go. Life spans are shorter now. Howard Stern, Saturday Night Live and the Rolling Stones don't know when to throw in the towel. But Die Hipster does.
Jan. 9, 2013, 5:04 pm
John Wasserman from Windsor Terrace says:
If you don't mind, I don't see what is wrong with being in with the times. I find that it is important to be up "on things". That is why I read this newspaper. Pardon the interuption.
Jan. 9, 2013, 5:04 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
It's too bad that he will b ending his blog. I liked how saw the hipsters for who they really area. In a way, I am sort of like Die Hipster in thinking that looks aren't everything. All hipsters is try to make a hard working neighborhood that was built by those who live there into one that can be found anywhere in this country. Also, they are driving out those that lived there for generations especially those that actually defined it so well. They do this partly because they feel homesick from where they come from, so they would like to make it resemble. One could say that Die Hipster is the Atlantic Yards Report on the hipsters, because he is telling what's really going on.
Jan. 9, 2013, 5:13 pm
SwampYankee from ruined Brooklyn says:
manhatposeur
why not check your stereotypes at the door? Some of us have families in Brooklyn for hundreds of years, own single family homes in the expensive parts of Northern Brooklyn, have responsible careers, families and responsibilities. That is my real old Brooklyn, not some Saturday Night Fever fantasy you have cooked up in your head.
Jan. 9, 2013, 6:14 pm
Northside Ned from Greenpoint says:
You know why these old deadbeats like the filthy crime ridden NYC of the 70's & 80's sooooo much better? Because they were young back then and their lives still had hope. Now that they're old and official failures they point their finger at the kids. Next time try accomplishing something losers. These old men townies are more brutal than the boomers.
Jan. 9, 2013, 6:31 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
OldYorker, nobody is saying to go back when the area was crime ridden, just stop trying to gentrify it so fast. In the long run, this hurts those that were living there for generations. Those working class people that you seem to despise where living there first and they have seen both the ups and the downs. In other words, they were living there when nobody else wanted to and fixed it up themselves. Now that the crime that they have managed to bring down, that was when the hipsters considered coming there. The hipsters didn't build up those neighborhoods, the working and middle class did. Keep in mind that it's the first and second generations that make or break the neighborhoods as well as define them, not those living there now.
Jan. 9, 2013, 6:41 pm
Pat I. from 70's brooklyn says:
Ned.....when i refer to old Brooklyn, I refer to the things that made the city and others like it - great: responsibility, respect for your fellow neighbors and a tolerance towards others that you a** clowns would know nothing about.

I moved to the suburbs - willingly - because this is where the jobs are...this is where we chose to live because it allows us a to own a single family home, have our ten year old in private school and swimming with the U of Penn swim coach once or twice a week.

But Brooklyn is where I was born and raised.. Brooklyn is where I moved back to in the 80's to work. And the fact that no one place fistball or skelzies doesn't mean sh8t. When I went home after a long day, I didn't have to put up with Matt Green types doing their little "look at me show" to annoy commuters. And like I don't like to see a friend dying of cancer, I don't like to see a once great city ruined by hipsters - who can't even defend themselves and don't have the common sense to put their goddamn i-cr*p away when boarding a train when it's a near certainty that they're gonna get mugged.

as I'vesaid before Ned, I'd call you a c*nt but you lack depth and warmth.
Jan. 9, 2013, 7:01 pm
ty from pps says:
"who can't even defend themselves"

WHY IS THAT A REQUIREMENT for civilized society?! Pat, you're a nutjob. As i pointed out above. It's like these crusty Die Hipster folks aren't satisfied unless Brooklyn and the city as a whole has some sort of resemblance to Thunderdome crossed with The Warriors.
Jan. 9, 2013, 7:08 pm
Pat I. from 70's brooklyn says:
Tal, go into ANY gentrified area that was formerly a war zone and you'll see tons of cops. Although certain parts of Brooklyn are still dicey at best (out here we have Camden, Philly,Marcus Hook and Chester) the primary issue was that the locals did not need protection so much as you had to stop them from killing each other.

Gentrifiers are entitlement wh*res. They move into long established areas and want things their way. But save for rape whistles and group shouts of "SHAME!" (while of course deriding the police that protect them, they are the ultimate victims. look at the police log on this site. These rooftop Neds and Zanders are just begging to have crimes committed against them. I lived in Carroll gardens. Nothing ever happened.It was only after hipsters and yuppies moved in that crime went up.

But I'm gonna change my tune. The 350 shares of Apple I purchased back in '97 will put my kid through college. So please, for my sake, keep buying your weekly i-pods and Macs.
Jan. 9, 2013, 7:12 pm
Pat I. from 70's Brooklyn says:
Ty - I can't believe any person - male or female - will ask such a stupid question.

And you probably think the way you do because you don't know what it's like to get chased by thugs wielding baseball bats. When this happens how are the cops going to help you?GPS? when you walk into your apartment and see a couple of guys stealing your stuff and raping your girlfriend are you gonna just stand there and read them the riot act? maybe take a photo of them with your i-Phone - followed by another photo of the end of a .45?

When walking your girl home and two guys start feeling her up are you going to defend her or just hand her over?

Judging by your post. I think we all know the answers to these questions.
Jan. 9, 2013, 7:20 pm
Eddie Going from Bensonhurst says:
That's just the point...everyone pretending to enjoy PBR, "brunch," saying "brunch," playing obscure instruments, riding bicycles from the 1930s...

It's more confusing than anything. It's attention-starved to say the least.

When I do see someone who fits the description of a Hipster walking towards me, I make sure to say out loud to whomever I'm with: "Speaking of hipsters..."

It's a fun little passive aggressive game :)
Jan. 9, 2013, 11:18 pm
copynow10 from Bushwick says:
Die Hipster Will Be Missed....And The Truth Shall Set You Free...Until The Next Blog....
Jan. 10, 2013, 3:49 am
HEY ADMINISTRATOR from OF THIS SITE says:
I repeat, as I have said earlier, it clearly states in your terms:

"You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site."

So start banning diehipster, Beverly, and the rest of the continually abusive trolls before your lack of action gets discussed with the authorities and your owners!
Jan. 10, 2013, 10:59 am
JAZ from hunting redbeards says:
Diehipster was a great website - it gave us a place to vent about the pseudo-creative class, attention starved interlopers that have come off the plane at JFK, armed with daddy's gentrification allowance, to 'redefine the urban experience - like yah!'. It also allowed people to reminisce with others about a time in Brooklyn and the rest of NYC before the hipsters came.

DH himself made brilliant posts that could make you laugh (the song parodies are some of the best writing on the entire internet). He also posted news that could make you furious with anger - but needed to be discussed nonetheless. It was and is an extremely important site that brought to light an extremely important topic - the hypergentrification of Brooklyn in particular, and NYC in general, and the fight to keep the damage of gentrification from seeping into South Brooklyn.

There is a real class struggle taking place here, with the upper middle class hipster transplants squeezing out the working class, normal people. Diehipster addressed this in his own style, and gave voice to what so many of us are feeling. I thank and salute him.
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:35 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Pat, I have nothing against newer people wanting to move into neighborhoods, it's those that tend to drive up the prices causing those living there before that I am against. This isn't just in Brooklyn, this is all over NYC and probably also the country as well. Those were the people who built it up with their own blood and sweat when nobody else wanted it. I never said go back to the time when there were constant gun shots, I am saying going to where you don't always have to find so many corporations and chains that you can find anywhere. In other words, I don't want to see another Disneyfied neighborhood. Times Square would have been fine as it was if the police did their job and arrested the criminals there, not make it impossible for long time businesses to move out thanks to corporations getting subsidies to move there. Then again, they probably would never come there if they weren't given, which shows that it wasn't really that prestigious. Not that long ago, I did remember reading an article in NY Post about an auto shop that sits near the High Line Park and has been there for generations, and the landlord wants that business to leave despite being able to still pay the rent to stay there. Die Hipster was one of those to see through the hipster life, and I thank him for doing that.
Jan. 10, 2013, 4:58 pm
Joe from WDC says:
I think, well for me personally, the frustration is that you are striving to be original but in reality you are all the same. Not creating but pretending to be creative and ruining art and music for real artists and musicians. And worse, making it harder to find good art and music. If everyone has sleeve tattoos and is a mixologist or a chef you really arent contributing anything to society at all. You are taking on lazy 'jobs' so you don't have to actually contribute anything to society. My 2 cents. If that makes me a 'bigot' in your eyes then so be it, I prefer generalist. These do-nothing hipsters are just as annoying in DC as they are in Brooklyn.
Jan. 10, 2013, 5:36 pm
PBR=Urine from Old Blighty says:
His best post was the map of Brooklyn with the "DO NOT CROSS BELOW THIS LINE HIPSTERS" I guess south Brooklyn's been invaded now too.
Jan. 10, 2013, 7:55 pm
HEY ADMINISTRATOR from OF THIS SITE says:
I am flapping my arms wildly, beating my windbag chest, and repeating for the next to last time, it clearly states in your terms:

So start banning people before your lack of action gets discussed with my brother, the authorities, and your owners!

I mean it! I am really mad! I am exclaiming it!
Jan. 10, 2013, 11:14 pm
Spotting from Pathetic Cases says:
You're also not the person who correctly called the Administrator's attention to the sad sacks who violate the Terms of Use. You are one of the pathetic cases who think you have the right to rant in public. Show some respect for your neighbors and maybe you'll feel some for yourself. Seriously.
Jan. 11, 2013, 11:49 am
ty from pps says:
"I have nothing against newer people wanting to move into neighborhoods, it's those that tend to drive up the prices causing those living there before that I am against."

That's pure poetry.
Jan. 11, 2013, 12:02 pm
John Q. Public from Brooklyn says:
"You are one of the pathetic cases who think you have the right to rant in public."

Which equals everybody. Deal with it, or change the Constitution to reflect your narrow and elitist world view.
Jan. 11, 2013, 3:53 pm
Jeff M from Bay Ridge says:
scott from park slope - I find your homophobia incredibly offensive. Name calling doesn't make you right, just pathetic.
Jan. 11, 2013, 4:44 pm
Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Hipsters are like attention vampires, they can't function if no one is paying attention to them positive or negative... So this might actually helpful in getting them to leave.
Jan. 11, 2013, 9:17 pm
Ed David from North Brooklyn says:
I have a site I created to critique Die Hipster called Die, Die Hipster . http://diediehipster.wordpress.com
Outed some of the anonymous trolls on his site.
Jan. 12, 2013, 1:40 pm
West of Broadway says:
i miss the dh blogs. he confronted tough topics against immense opposition, and i respect his efforts.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted in a profoundly sick society."
Jan. 13, 2013, 9:21 am
West of Broadway says:
"ty from pps says:

Right?"

i disagree. new york continues to have abundant amounts of crime. crime changed because the best criminals became smarter. hipsters are their pawns and they willingly continue to destabilize society.
Jan. 13, 2013, 12:23 pm
Rob from Los Sures says:
I don't think the criminals got any smarter, there are just far more easy marks here because of gentrification. Mugging someone of an iPhone is like shooting fish in a barrel in Williamsburg. They are usually strong arm robberies now too, which shows a heightened sense of anger and rage by the perpetrators. The violent aspects seem justified to the thieves, because of the perceived inequalities in income and social status.
But yes, hipsters are their pawns, and they do continue to destabilize society, willingly or not.
Jan. 14, 2013, 10:37 am
Spotting from Pathetic Cases says:
"John Q. Public;"

What you don't know about the law already HAS filled hundreds of books, but I would hope that you didn't sleep your way through Civics class! Free speech has limits, including making threats. Illegal. I won't get over it, you need to grow up and realize you have responsibilities in addition to rights.

And I apologize for incorrectly referring to this private Comments section on a private website of a private media company. And that media company has published Terms that all users of the site agree to. That includes you, JQP. Get over it.
Jan. 14, 2013, 12:16 pm
Billy from burg says:
The dude that ran diehipster was a 35 year old guy named 'Dante', who also happens to, or did when he started the log, rent properties to incoming transplants. These properties are owned by a dude in Texas and he pays Dante handsomely. Dante/DH enjoys taking the money of white people, ( Dante is not a 'white guy' ), with too muh money and not enough sense. Delighting in exploiting the renting needs of these cacazoid morons in ball-huggers and summer toboggins, desperate to see and be seen for even the most superficial of reasons before gravity takes too hard a toll on them, has been a way of making a living. Also, diehipster is not his first blog. His first blog, also on wordpress I believe, can be found easily. IOW, if you SAW Dante you might confuse him with a hipster-on-grunge or metal, possibly an immortal technique fan. I believe Dante's detest for outsiders is very real, but otoh he seems like a very unhappy and confused individual as well. One thing no one will do: you will not move him from his disgust for you and quite frankly, many of you EARN it with an effortlessness that would make the grestest thespians green with envy. Your posturing, aping, and gawking, however forced and artificial initially, mark you as the future middle-aged tourists that you all actually are. Few, very, very, very few people are ever actually born 'artists' and the differene between the poseurs and the real deal are instantly recognizale to a trained eye. You can't fake what's real, not at any age. Real artists, almost like monks, accept within theselves the probability not of fame and wealth, but of obscurity and poverty. It's part of the price for the pleasure of being who you really are. That, too, cannot be faked or put on ironically like some old thrift store coat. Here's a tell for you wannabe's: If you hit 30 and you start panicking inside because you're not rich and famous, you're not an artist. End of story. Just go on ahead and get married, have kids, get the mortgage in the 'burbs and accept that book keeping or IT work is probably more up your alley, or cul-de-sac. There's no shame in that. The shame is that because of a sea of wannabe's, the odds are slimmed that much more for the real artists to get any kind of notice, which has always been hard but all the MeganMollyCalebEthans aren't helping. Most of them have about as much vision and passion as any current Adbuster's article and half the intelligence, ( and that's say A LOT ), of Gawker's content. The hipster hordes, who roll through cities like locusts - consuming on a mass scale everything thtey find and leaving nothing of value when they depart - delude themselves into thinking they are all, gawd, 'youngs' ( no, you're not....a great numer of you are well pass the age of parenting...30 is not unusual and last time I looked, there's a huge difference between an 18 year old guy's face and a 30 year old guys face ), and 'olds' ( gee, got your parents hippy hangover, much? They still living vicariously through you? Is that why it's so easy for you to consume their retirement money?

Diehipster likely closed that site because he knew, eventually, there would be the big reveal of who he really is. And like any good NY'er, he has an inate appreciation for anonymity that no 'Look at MEEEE!' imbeciles will ever comprehend.
Jan. 26, 2013, 7:04 am
Rich is not just my name from New York City says:
I'm sad to see die hipster die. But, I understand.

I like that dude. He reminds me of a lot of wise mouth Spanish kids I grew up with. He uses a lot of old school New York speak like "break night".

Oh, please die you hipster doofuses.
Jan. 29, 2013, 1:43 am
Ava from Nowhere says:
I don't have a problem with youth moving the city to make a life for themselves, but since 9/11 this trend has become overwhelming and threatening to native NY'ers.The irony of hipsters is that they made coolness trite and rather expensive, Diehipster was great at pointing this out and like the rest of NYC I'll be sorry to see it go.
Feb. 5, 2013, 4:25 pm
redQueen from Clinton Hill says:
Damn, you step away from commenting for a few months and BAM, Diehipster is gone. Thanks DH, it was great while it lasted. You'll be missed, along with the What. What some call trolling, i call funny as h3ll
May 30, 2013, 7:20 pm
Maria from Coney Island says:
diehipster is alive and well...

brooklyn natives will never let these self entitled hipster filth take brooklyn from us.
Oct. 19, 2013, 8:34 pm
sleuth from anon says:
One of Dante/Ed's figured it out they were one in the same and he realized it and split on the DH site, but kept on the DDH site, also his. A baby geek could, and still can, easily suss it out.

Dante, Dante, Dante...tsk, tsk, tsk...
Jan. 3, 12:23 am
rich from bayonne says:
I never laughed so hard in my life when I read that site. I thought those thoughts when talking to those douchebags and it was expressed brilliantly in that site.
May 7, 3:31 pm